An invitation

Ruth is a woman I hang out with in the Bible and every single time she teaches me something new.  Sometimes, like this last time we sat together, I wonder how did I miss that before?

A few years ago I learned from Ruth the lesson that the one God desires for me will be prepared for me.  I started praying that God keep me hidden until my prepared one was ready - and I held on to that promise for the past four years - that I not be revealed until my prepared one was ready to receive me.

About a month ago while hanging out with Ruth, I started to realize that Ruth went to work with other women in Boaz's field - yet his attention was on her.  A spoken word artist I met via instagram put it like this - "When Boaz saw Ruth in a field full of women, he immediately knew that she was the one.  If a man has to date several women at the same time to decide if he wants you, then he is not your Boaz." (via @spokenbychanel)

That stuck with me.  You see, I am a woman.  I have flaws - and one of my greatest flaws is insecurities.  Yes, me. I actually sometimes find it to be complete madness that God has used me to build a ministry of women and called me to have a heart for women, when the enemy uses my insecurities to try to get me to compare and compete.  That's how you know whenever I am pouring out and connecting with women it's a divine connection because God has had to do some serious work on my heart.  So I started looking at how Boaz found favor on Ruth among all the other women in the fields.  Have you ever just wanted a guy to turn towards you? To love you? To choose you?  To acknowledge that there are amazing, talented, beautiful, intelligent women all over the world, but yet he chooses you.  Doesn't that kind of love model Christ's love for us?  That is how Boaz was towards Ruth.

So I'm feeling like after having girl-talk with Ruth over the past few years I should have it all down by now.  I should wait patiently and live obediently for my prepared one.  If a guy isn't completely focused on me, he's definitely not my prepared one.  Those are some pretty strong ground rules.

This past Friday night it was raining and I had just finished an amazing study of the Word, and I was really in a perfect relaxing mood.  I wasn't ready for bed yet so I started looking for a movie to watch on Netflix.  Somehow, I ended up choosing the Story of Ruth.  Who knew...on a random Friday night...Ruth had more to teach me?

I love to see the Word acted out on the screen.  It always causes me to go back to reference my Bible to see if certain parts actually happened or if they were additions from the writer.  Then, randomly, this past Friday night Ruth started telling me about how Naomi instructed her to go and uncover Boaz's feet and lay down.  I became curious about what this gesture meant.

So I started searching and I discovered this was a customary way for a woman to invite a man to choose to cover them in marriage.  What?  So wait...I can't just stay hidden, watch to see if my prepared one finds me, make sure he's truly my prepared one and isn't interested in anyone else? Lord, what are you revealing to me?

The thing I love about the Bible is that God uses my time of hanging out with the ladies of the Bible as a time to reveal things in myself that He desires I work on.

Have you ever dated a man and said "let's just see where things go, we don't need to call it anything or put titles on it when you know what you are desiring is a commitment?" ::raises hand::

Have you ever entered a relationship and not been totally honest about what you want from the relationship? ::raises hand::

Have you purposely avoided having the commitment talk with someone you are interested in because you are afraid that they actually aren't your Boaz and they actually do want to date other people and you know you will have to walk away in order to honor yourself? ::raises hand::

As I sat across from Ruth Friday night, God started pouring a new lesson into me from the very text I have sat with over and over and over again.  Daughter, you give the invitation for what you will accept in your life.  Once you give the invitation, God has a chance to orchestrate His perfect will by revealing whether the person you are inviting is the one He desires for you or if he's not willing to choose you.  So many of us stay in relationships without being true to ourselves because we are afraid of the outcome, but when God is leading the process, we have nothing to be afraid of.

God has given us an amazing power as women to invite people into our lives.  To set the tone for what our hearts desire.  Sister, we have to be willing to give our truth a voice, and give our voice a chance, so that God can honor us.

Wow.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...