29 November 2013

Steeped in Thankfulness


A few nights ago, I literally had to snap myself out of the dark funk I had allowed myself to slip into. Circumstances weren't appearing as I would have liked them, and I allowed them to drag into the pit of worry and discontent.

I was stuck there. I was upset that I was going to be in this funk on Thanksgiving with all of our family here. I couldn't seem to shake it. My attempts at surrendering it were futile. I needed to snap out of it bad.

Then, late Wednesday night, I decided no. No this circumstance wasn't going to just happen to me. No I wasn't going to just sit by and let it drag me with it. I just said no.

Yesterday I decided to work on actively creating my happiness and even though I'm bothered by a situation, not giving any negative energy to it. Just let it be and love through it.

I'm grateful. I'm grateful that even through these difficult lessons of just being and trusting, I'm growing. I'm creating a happy, positive life even when it doesn't look like it. I'm blessed beyond measure. 

It is so easy to let our circumstances take us with them on the roller coaster ride. It's best to tell the director of the crazy train "excuse me, I need to get off".

Yesterday's Jesus Calling devotional really helped snap me out of it. To "seep" in thankfulness. I think about how my tea must seep in hotter water to get its full effect. So must a life must seep in His goodness and thankfulness to get its full effect. 

Happiness is the consequence of personal effort. You fight for it, strive for it, insist upon it, and sometimes even travel the world looking for it. You have to participate relentlessly in the manifestation of your own blessings. And once you have achieved a state of happiness, you must never become lax about maintaining it. You must make a mighty effort to keep swimming upward into that happiness forever, to stay afloat on top of it. Elizabeth Gilbert

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...