29 April 2013

Albuquerque Runs 4 Boston



On Friday, my dear friend posted on Facebook to see if anyone was participating in the 5k4 Boston on Sunday.  I asked her for details and immediately got connected to a Facebook Event with all the race details.  Saturday evening, I popped over to the Hotel Albuquerque to register and get my race swag....and was totally excited to run on Sunday.


Because I hadn't learned about the event until the last minute, I didn't expect to have such a great turnout.  There was great energy building outside the National Hispanic Cultural Center with a DJ and more and more people showing up.  I even led a little pre-race Wobble.


 

Brian Colon was the main visionary of the event, and Congresswoman Michelle Lujan Grisham was there as well as Congressman Ben Ray Lujan.  They gave special treatment to the three racers who were actually in Boston, and just as the race started I saw Amy from Lavender Running!  I started yelling "Amy, Amy!" I was so excited to see her!

The course was a little unexpected, much of it unpaved on the Bosque which I'm not used to because I rarely run on unpaved roads but it was still  a ton of fun! They had food, water, and SNO CONES once you finished! 

The best part, they raised a total $47,000 from the 47th state to send to the Boston First Responders Fund!

Oh...and somehow...I ended up in the Albuquerque Journal today.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...