A lesson on tying shoes

  

For the past few weeks we have been having tantrums, complete breakdowns, throwing of shoes, and stomping off.  All because Munchkin wants to tie his own shoes....and believe he already knows everything.

For the past few weeks I would hold a shoe in my lap while he puts a shoe on.  Very slowly we would go over the steps:

1. Cross
2. Through the loop
3. Bunny rabbit ear
4. Wrap it
5. Through the look
6. Gently pull it
7. Done

He had steps 1-3 mastered, but something would get loss on step 4 and that's where the breakdown would happen.  Then I would get upset because of his impatience to keep practicing and because there were now shoes flying at my head (ok not really, but when your child is having a meltdown you need to add dramatics).  Then one day last week I decided I was just going to stay calm. I was just going to keep suggesting we keep practicing. After the tantrum, I'd still be here, ready to practice.

You know what happened?  Munchkin is now tying his shoes.  Is he tying his shoes the way I taught him to. Absolutely not!  In fact, I can't even figure out how he manages to get the strings tied.  He figured out his own method that day and we're all super happy.  I was trying to teach him steps 1-7. He had to figure out how to do it his way - however many steps that takes.

So Munchkin lesson #5,997,380: Keep calm. Be patient. Give me space to figure out what works for me. 

Ok Munchkin. Lesson learned. Thanks for being my teacher.

2 comments :

  1. It took my son forever to learn to tie his shoes. He finally got it, knows how to do it and for some reason his shoes stay untied!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have never imagined the amount of patience needed in order to teach him to tie shoes. I guess it is a little complicated!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...