24 July 2012

Coffee with Christ


We all grew up reciting scriptures like "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God".  We knew to say "God is grace, God is good, now we thank Him for our food" and "Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to keep".  This early knowledge of communicating with God is our first understanding of what it means to talk to the Lord.  I love it. My son prays every day. In the morning we say "this is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it!" Then we let out a big THANK YOU LORD and Hallelujah shout.  

Somewhere along the line in our childhood, teen years, adulthood we forget this purity of talking to God. Maybe I should just speak for myself and say I forgot the purity of just simply communicating with God.  I have always been one to pray - whether asking for something, in trouble, or expressing gratitude, I have always prayed - but I have never set aside a time for me and Him. Like a date, you know?  Everything else in my life was on a schedule - I knew what time I would work out, what meetings I had, even writing projects were timed out by the hour, but my time with God - no where on the calendar.

As I began to want to get closer to God, to cultivate my relationship with Him, and actually start getting to know Him more, the first thing I realized was I need to reserve a designated time where God and I "meet in the garden".  I realized when I wake up my first action is to check my phone. I was more concerned with what other people had to say than what God said.  Wow. That sounds really bad as I write - but it is the truth.  So I had to check myself. God kept planting in my spirit saying "seek Me.". 

So the first thing I did was set a time for me and God.  I found it extremely difficult at first because I used to wake when Munchkin woke, and we all know that when they wake up, quiet time is rare.  So I set an alert on my calendar for 5:25 every morning to meet with My Lord at 5:30 every day.


It's not always easy. There are some mornings where I just want to hit snooze, over and over and over again. Sometimes I do. If anyone knows how imperfect I am - it's God.  Yesterday was one of those morning where snooze was my best friend.  I got Munchkin off to camp, went for my run, and rushed off to work.  By the end of the day I was longing to spend time with Him.  It's just like an earthly relationship - when you're with the one you love, you miss them while you are away from them.

Some people may think I'm turning into a bit radical. I am. Yes - I'd rather spend a Saturday night hanging with Munchkin and studying the Word, then getting drunk and acting crazy. Trust me, I've tried it the other way.


6 comments:

  1. I have a similar post coming up soon about how to find the right time for you and God! I hope you check it out. We are on the same train of thought! Love like-minded women!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know I will! I'll be looking for it on my google reader. I too love the way God brings all of us together even though we are miles apart!

      Delete
  2. I just started this too. Been feeling very disconnected and out of fellowship with God. I started having my quiet time with Him as soon as I wake up in the morning. It has truly helped me to get through my days easier. I notice how much I have missed having these moments with Him. Continue praying for me as I will pray for all in our relationship with our Farther.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing. It really does set the tone for the day. When I don't have my time with Him I genuinely miss His presence. I will certainly continue praying for you. Our intimate time with the Father is valuable.

      Delete
  3. Great reminder. So special. Thank you for sharing your own struggle because it's one we all have. I don't think it's radical. It's important :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo...I LOVE that. Not radical. Important. I will remember that. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...