Chunky Monkey 5k

I was so excited to get to work this morning and write, but instead here I am at 9:30 pm typing on my phone because I turned my internet off in preparation for our move this week. (Now it's Tuesday morning. Bad blogger me.)
I accidentally took this picture. Insta!
Sunday I laced up my running shoes for the second 5k of the summer. This was the sequel to the Cherry Garcia race I ran in last month.

Photo Courtesy of Munchkin Photography
I was excited and a little nervous for the race. Since I've really been devoting time to training I wanted to do good, and I set a goal to finish under 30 minutes. I was excited because I thought I knew what to expect with it being the same course as last month.


That was the first big surprise. The race coordinators listened to the feedback from last month and completely separated the 5k and 10k races. (Amy you would have approved). So us 5-kers headed East towards 12th street. It was hot but after I ran 5 miles without stopping last week on my birthday, I was determined not to walk at all, because I realize that's just a mental deficiency I have.


I ran with my friend Alison again, and she was in the zone. She ran up next to me and I was waving at her and she was so focused she didn't notice! Everyone around me was looking at me like who is this chick yelling "hey, hey".


I felt much better this time. I still need to work on my body posture. I feel like I have great moments where I'm running like a real runner, but most times I'm just flailing around trying to make it.

I was extremely happy to find out I improved my time by 3 minutes. That makes the training worth it.


So tomorrow today I'll get back up and start the training program again. 3 miles, 4 miles, 3 miles, and 6 miles this week.

Oh, and I was even able to enjoy a little Cherry Garcia. (last time I felt like the bottom of my stomach was falling out).

I'm trying to make plans to run in the Black Girls Run 10k race in Atlanta in September, but I'm waiting to hear if we are being selected for the New Mexico State Fair again to sell Scentsy. They are taking forever this year! Argh. I missed the discounted registration today waiting to hear from them.

I'll keep you posted!


P.S. I ran in my new Brooks running gear for the first time that I purchased on my birthday through the REI outlet.  The shirt is super comfy and the shorts are too - but they are a little short. I have to admit I was concerned that those running behind me would have to see my buttox. (oops)


Please forgive the messy bed. There was a little Munchkin asleep in it while I was getting ready!
My Nike shorts are definitely my favorite of the two.




4 comments :

  1. CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR TIME! That is awesome! And I'm so glad they separated the races. I think it makes for a much safer experience for EVERYONE involved. My dad and my sister both ran this race, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amy. I'm trying girl. I agree with you totally - it made for a safer race and there actually were less people in the way even on the 5k route. I hope your dad and sister had fun!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your run! It has been a while since I have done a 5K, but I run at least 4-5 days a week for exercise. It is a great way to stay in shape and get that runners high.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you LV. I'm definitely still enjoying the excitement of races. I do love the runners high!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...